My Thoughts on Celery
My new food for the month of February is celery. So from what I have heard celery is a great low fat, super crunchy healthy snack. But what would it taste like? Before trying it I’ve heard that is tastes like water or practically nothing and is just crunchy. Well it certainly is crunchy but I think that is definitely has a bit of flavor. To me it has a slightly salty taste which is emphasized the darker the color of the celery is. I noticed after the first couple of chews most of the flavor is gone and it is just crunchy. I also noticed and did not like how it is stringy and the strings can get stuck in your teeth. However, this has been one of the easier ones for me to try since I could put peanut butter on it!
Health Benefits of Celery
Celery is a super healthy snack, especially when eaten on its own. Here are some of the health benefits I found out about when trying celery.
- Celery is low in calories – 1 stalk is approximately only 10 calories!
- Celery reduces inflammation – helpful with join pains, lung infections, asthma, or acne.
- Celery is a great snack before bed time. It can help calm you down and help you sleep better.
- Celery helps with nervousness, headaches, exhaustion, regulating bowel movements, aiding digestion.
- Celery is good for your eyes, reduces “bad” cholesterol, can lower blood pressure, and can combat cancer.
Tips on Celery
- Choose celery with upright stalks that snap when bent.
- The leaves should be fresh and crisp.
- The darker the color, the stronger the flavor.
- Freshly chopped celery retains its nutrients much better than if you chop and store it even for a few hours.
- Steamed celery retains up to 99% of its nutrients.